Northamptonshire residents can benefit from key advice and information to stay well this winter at a series of special roadshows being held by NHS Corby and NHS Nene Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) in November and December 2018.
The 'Help Us Help You - Stay Well This Winter' roadshows have been organised to help local residents prepare against the cold weather. Everyone is invited to attend especially those with long-term conditions and those over 65, to find out on how they can prepare for winter and ward off common winter illnesses so they do not require a visit to the hospital.
The team will be visiting destinations across Northamptonshire in the months of November and December, starting on Monday 12th November at Tesco, Old Tiffield Rd in Towcester from 10-2pm.
Staff at the CCGs are encouraging members of the public to come and talk to them at the roadshow events to receive advice and support about some of the key actions they can take to keep them and their families well this winter including:
- Making sure you get the flu jab if eligible
- Keeping warm – inside and outdoors
- Getting help from your pharmacist as soon as you start to feel unwell, before it gets more serious, even if it's just a cough or a cold,
- Making sure you have a well-stocked medicine cabinet
- Always taking prescribed medicines as directed
The team will also be accompanied at some of the roadshow events by the Northamptonshire Singing 4 Breathing choir. The choir have worked with the CCGs this year to produce a song 'We Stand Together – Stay Well This Winter' and video to promote staying well through the winter months and those that are eligible to have their flu jab.
Dr Darin Seiger, GP Chair of Nene CCG, said:
“These special roadshows are an ideal opportunity for local people to hear first-hand how they can protect their health this winter. Winter can be bad for our health, particularly for older people or those with long term health conditions, but there a number of things that you can do to keep you and your family well this winter.
“A large range of common winter illnesses and injuries can be treated at home simply with over-the-counter medicines and plenty of rest. People should ensure they have a well-stocked medicine cabinet so they can look after themselves over the cold winter period.
Dr Joanne Watt, Clinical Chair of Corby CCG said:
“It's important that people know where they can go for help, the information provided at these events will support people to find the right help at the right time. We are so pleased to be joined by Singing 4 Breathing for live performances at some of our roadshow events to help promote the importance of staying well this winter.
If you get a sore throat, a cold, a bad cough or sustain a minor injury, your local pharmacist will be able to offer sound advice. Pharmacies have long opening hours, you don't need an appointment and many have private consultation areas, so they are a good first port of call.”
The roadshow dates are:
- Monday 12th November 2018, Tesco, Old Tiffield Rd in Towcester from 10-2pm.
- Tuesday 13th November 2018, Swansgate Shopping Centre, Wellingborough 10-2pm (Singing 4 Breathing Choir in attendance between 11:30 – 12:10)
- Saturday 8th December 2018, Grosvenor Centre, Northampton, 10-2pm (Singing 4 Breathing Choir in attendance between 11:30 – 12:10)
- Tuesday 11th December 2018, Newlands Centre, Kettering, 10-2pm (Singing 4 Breathing Choir in attendance between 11:30 – 12:10)
- Thursday 20th December 2018, Asda, Corby 10-2pm (Singing 4 Breathing Choir in attendance between 11:30 – 12:10)
Further roadshow dates in Daventry and East Northants to be released shortly.
The local 'Help Us Help You - Stay Well this Winter' campaign will last till the end of February and for more information visit https://www.neneccg.nhs.uk/stay-well-this-winter/ . General health advice is available at www.nhs.uk