Northampton residents can benefit from key advice and information to stay well this winter at a series of special roadshows being held by NHS Nene Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) in November and December 2016.
The 'Stay Well This Winter' roadshows have been organised to help local residents prepare against the cold weather. Everyone is invited to attend especially those with long-term conditions and those over 65, to find out how they can prepare for winter and ward off common winter illnesses so they do not require a visit to the hospital.
Health professionals from NHS Nene CCG will be visiting destinations across Northamptonshire in the months of November and December, starting on Wednesday 30th November at the Swansgate Shopping Centre in Wellingborough from 10-2pm.
Staff at the CCG are encouraging members of the public to come and talk to them at the roadshow events to receive advice and support about some of the key actions they can take to keep them and their families well this winter including:
- Making sure you get the flu jab if eligible
- Keeping warm – inside and outdoors
- Getting help from your pharmacist as soon as you start to feel unwell, before it gets more serious, even if it's just a cough or a cold,
- Making sure you have a well-stocked medicine cabinet
- Always taking prescribed medicines as directed
The team will also be inviting the public to take part in a scratch card quiz, aimed at identifying the most appropriate care and support for common winter ailments, with some surprising results that could really help people to avoid an unnecessary trip to a GP or A&E this year.
Dr Darin Seiger, GP Chair of Nene CCG, said:
“These special roadshows are an ideal opportunity for local people to hear first-hand how they can protect their health this winter. Winter can be bad for our health, particularly for older people or those with long term health conditions, but there a number of things that you can do to keep you and your family well this winter.
“It's important that people know where they can go for help. If you get a sore throat, a cold, a bad cough or sustain a minor injury, your local pharmacist will be able to offer sound advice. Pharmacies have long opening hours, you don't need an appointment and many have private consultation areas, so they are a good first port of call.”
“A large range of common winter illnesses and injuries can be treated at home simply with over-the-counter medicines and plenty of rest. People should ensure they have a well-stocked medicine cabinet so they can look after themselves over the cold winter period.”
The roadshow dates are:
- Wednesday 30th November 2016 - Swansgate Shopping Centre, Wellingborough 10am – 2pm.
- Thursday 1st December 2016 – Asda Supermarket, Rushden 10am – 2pm.
- Wednesday 7th December 2016 – Newlands Shopping Centre, Kettering 10am – 2pm.
- Thursday 8th December 2016 – Tesco Supermarket, Towcester 10am – 2pm.
- Thursday 15th December 2016 – Grosvenor Shopping Centre, Northampton 10am – 2pm.
A further date covering the Daventry area will be published in the coming weeks.
The local 'Stay Well this Winter' campaign will last till the end of February and for more information visit https://www.neneccg.nhs.uk/stay-well-this-winter/